There are very few fresh-out-of-the-box machines available these days. Which machine is best for you? It depends on what you are looking for. You have choices:
- Electronic, manual, punchcard
- Plastic or metal bed
- Needle pitch (gauge determines the weight of yarn to use)
- Delivery time
Silver Reed Models Available Terms: Standard, Mid, Bulky
- Standard with punchcard SK280 (optional ribber)
- Electronic Standard SK840 (optional ribber)
- Mid-gauge (plastic) LK150
Taitexma Models Available
Terms: Standard, Mid, Bulky
- Standard with punchcard TH860 (optional ribber)
- Standard with punchcard TH860L(extended bed) (optional ribber)
- Mid-Gauge (manual) with ribber TH/TR-160
- Bulky Punchcard TH260 (optional ribber)
- Bulky Punchcard (extended bed) TH260L (optional ribber)
Silver Reed Availability
Silver Reed machines are generally stocked and available for immediate shipment.
Taitexma machines are made in Taiwan and are ordered in bulk. Expect your order to take approx 10-12 weeks for delivery.
Silver Reed Notes
Silver Reed machines select the needles to pattern as the row is being knit. There is no "preview" of what needles are going to pattern.
Silver Reed machines use an external device for stitch patterns. Most commonly, knitters use a computer and
for stitch patterns. Using Cables, the computer sends the information to the knitting machine for selecting and de-selecting needles for stitch patterning. Another method is using a PE-1 Device for patterning.
Taitexma punchcard machines pre-select needles. (like the vintage Brother machines)
For example, if row 7 of the pattern selects every 3rd needle. after completing row 6, every 3rd needle is positioned to pattern on the NEXT row. This is as if you used a needle pusher and selected the patterning needles manually before knitting a row.
At this time Taitexma does not offer Electronic machines.